Collaborating to fund, design and deliver workforce development
SDWP manages a variety of funding sources (public, private, philanthropy) to support workforce development programs throughout our region.
Two boards provide oversight and funding direction: the Consortium Policy Board and the Workforce Development Board (WDB). Members include City and County elected officials, private sector businesses, organized labor, education, economic development and other community leaders.
Workforce Development Board
- Reviews funding initiatives and makes recommendations to the Policy Board.
- Members represent our entire region: businesses, organized labor, education and leaders/advocates for workforce development.
- Strengthens our partnership with all stakeholders to address the workforce needs of our region.
- Chair — Phil Blair, President, Manpower San Diego
- Vice Chair — Omar Passons, San Diego Brewers Guild
- Secretary/Treasurer — Jamie Latiano Jacobs, Catalyst Strategic Solutions
- Kevin Alvin, Business Representative, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 569
- Andrew Berg, Executive Manager, National Electrical Contractors Association
- David Blake, Vice President of Human Resources, California Western School of Law
- Mary Burton, Vice President of Human Resources, Sea World
- Erik Caldwell, Director of Economic Development, City of San Diego
- Dr. Sunita Cooke, President, Mira Costa College
- Carlos O. Turner Cortez, Ph.D., President, San Diego Continuing Education
- Dennis DuBard, Manager, Public and Government Relations, General Dynamic, NASSCO
- Shandon Harbour, President and CEO, Associated Builders and Contractors
- Ed Hidalgo, Chief of Innovation & Engagement Officer, Cajon Valley Union School District
- Matt Kriz, Political Director, International Union of Painters and Allied Trades District Council
- Tom Lemmon, Business Manager, San Diego County Building & Trades Council
- Ky Lewis, Senior Vice President, Sharp Healthcare
- Nick Macchione, Director, HHSA, County of San Diego
- Althea Salas, Vice President of Human Resources, San Diego Tourism Authority
- Sandra Shuda, Vice President of Strategy and Services, Watkins Wellness
- Nancy Smith-Taylor, Director of Diversity and Workforce Management, SDG&E
- Mark Starr, Director, Microsoft
- Annie Taamilo, Deputy Division Chief, Employment Development Department
- Sammy Totah, Chief Operating Officer, Kaiser Permanente San Diego
- Carmencita Trapse, Regional Administrator, Department of Rehabilitation
- Rick Vaccari, Vice President of Investor Relations and Pensions (retired), Sempra Energy
- Michael Zucchet, General Manager, San Diego Municipal Employees Association
- As a joint powers authority, this board is a community partnership of the City and County of San Diego.
- Members include two County Supervisors, two San Diego City Council members, and a representative of the United Way of San Diego.
- Appoints members to, and receives recommendations from, the Workforce Development Board (WDB).
- In collaboration with the WDB, decides on funding decisions and programmatic priority.
- Determines workforce strategy, objectives and priorities based upon regional needs and impact.
- Meetings are open to the public.
- Chair — Kristin Gaspar, County Supervisor, The County of San Diego
- Vice Chair — Barbara Bry, Councilmember, The City of San Diego
- Jacob Richards, Finance Committee Chair, United Way of San Diego County
- Ron Roberts, County Supervisor, The County of San Diego
- Scott Sherman, Councilmember, The City of San Diego
Greg Cox, County Supervisor, The County of San Diego
Jacqueline Parks, Board Chair , United Way of San Diego County
Lorie Zapf, Councilmember, The City of San Diego