Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) brings about the critical changes needed to modernize the public workforce system.
SDWP is working to align our programs and policies under the new legislation in preparation for the evolving landscape of the workforce system. It is working with all stakeholders to analyze and compile useful information to share with our partners as it becomes available. The information listed below will be continually updated to reflect newly developed materials that become available.
While awaiting regulations, the Department of Labor’s (DOL) Employment and Training Administration (ETA) provides guidance in the form of Training and Employment Guidance Letters (TEGLs) until WIOA regulations are finalized.
Key Implementation Dates:
- July 1, 2015: Provisions of WIOA take effect, unless otherwise noted. Current performance accountability system remains in effect for 1st full program year.
- July 22, 2015: Eligible Training Providers provisions are implemented by Governors and boards.
- January, 2016: Final rules published.
- March 3, 2016: Deadline for state Unified Plan submission.
- June 30, 2016: DOL and the Department of Education must develop performance indicator relating to effectiveness in serving employers.
WIOA clearly articulates our responsibility to convene and collaborate by hosting community conversations to better align workforce resources and better understand the complexities of region. Key components of WIOA support innovation by encouraging local boards to facilitate evaluations and continuous improvement for programs that best serve our communities.
In the summer of 2015, SDWP partnered with third-party consultants, Pat Libby Consulting and Probe Research, to engage our adult and youth participants, service providers, employers and other key stakeholders to gather feedback and reflect on opportunities to best meet the needs of San Diego’s workforce. The results of this evaluation process is detailed in the reports below:
- Customer Satisfaction Survey Results
- A Report on the 2015 Community Conversations
- Southern Border Regional Plan DRAFT
- Local Plan DRAFT
Federal and State resources:
- The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act
- DOL WIOA Resources Webpage
- Notices of Proposed Rule-Making (NPRMs)
- California Workforce Investment Board WIOA Webpage
Other helpful resources:
- National Association of Workforce Boards WIOA Resource Webpage
- California Workforce Association WIOA Resource Webpage
- National Association of Workforce Boards (NAWB) Overview and Side-by-Side Resource
- National Skills Coalition Side-by-Side Comparison of WIA/WIOA
- Center for Postsecondary and Economic Success (CLASP) Key Provisions of WIOA