Employment in San Diego’s most prosperous sectors—life sciences, technology, clean energy, health care, and advanced manufacturing—requires a strong foundation in STEAM, and so C2C has made it a priority to develop pipelines for young adults to obtain the education and work experience necessary to enter and succeed in these sectors. C2C’s STEAM-related programming targets both students/young adults and education professionals. Young adults strategies focus on job development, placement support and business outreach, while education professionals strategies focus on teacher professional development and curriculum modification based in high-demand workplace skills.
THE 2018 LSSI HIGH SCHOOL INTERNSHIP PROGRAM APPLICATION WILL OPEN IN LATE JANUARY AND CLOSE LATE MARCH.
The Life Sciences Summer Institute (LSSI) nourishes a passion for science and math in San Diego’s next generation of scientists.
SDWP—in collaboration with BIOCOM and the Southern California Biotechnology Center (SCBC) at Miramar College—created LSSI in 2005 to strengthen science and math education in San Diego County and develop a future workforce for the region’s burgeoning life sciences industry. Today LSSI connects high school students and science teachers with leading San Diego life sciences companies through three programs: the LSSI High School Student Research Program, the Amgen Biotech Experience Teacher Program and the Introductory Life Sciences Experience (ILSE).
For more information, contact Alex Becker, CONNECT2Careers STEAM Manager, at (619) 228-2903 or AlexanderBecker@workforce.org.
LSSI High School Student Research Program
Each year more than 300 high school students apply to LSSI for paid summer internship positions with San Diego’s world-renowned life sciences institutions.
- Weeklong “boot camp” covering topics like biotechnology laboratory skills, safety practices and soft skills
- Mentorship by a scientist and exposure to real-life science practices
- College credit for the bootcamp at both Grossmont and Miramar College
- College prep units for their internship through UCSD Extension
- Micro-badge credential from UCSD Extension upon internship completion
Summer 2017 results:
- 45 internships
- 560 students have participated to date
Amgen Biotech Experience Teacher Program
The Amgen Biotech Experience Teacher Program provides a professional development program for science teachers, exposing them to a new biotechnology lab curriculum. Designed by Amgen scientists and educators, the program offers a solution to prepare more students with the STEM competencies necessary for careers in the modern workforce. At the end of the course, teachers are provided access to equipment and supplies necessary to implement the new curriculum in their classroom.
- 6-day program with half-day externships at life sciences companies
- Training in career pathways
- Collaboration with other science teachers
- Access to loaner equipment and supplies through the SCBC at Miramar College
Summer 2017 results:
- 12 teachers participated
- 237 teachers have participated to date
- 74,858 high school students impacted to date