This Way Ahead is a national program sponsored by Gap, Inc. Participants receive 20 hours of pre-internship training—including insider sessions led by Banana Republic, Gap and Old Navy store managers—followed by a guaranteed interview for a summer internship at a Banana Republic, Gap or Old Navy store.
Stores select interns for a paid summer internship for a minimum 12 hours per week. Interns are mentored by Gap Inc. employees for the duration of their internship, provided with a gift card for work clothing and offered valuable experience as they explore career options in retail.
During the session, trainers from CONNECT2Careers—a program of the San Diego Workforce Partnership—covered:
- Preparing for and nailing the interview
- Crafting an elevator pitch
- Navigating your first day
- Building a resume
The remaining trainings and tour happen in May, with interviews starting later in the month and up to 57 internships starting in June at stores across the county:
- Banana Republic: Las Americas, Otay Ranch, Fashion Valley, Horton Plaza, Carlsbad
- Gap: Fashion Valley, Las Americas
- Old Navy: Las Americas, South Bay Marketplace, Mission Valley West, Santee, Sports Arena, Vista
As This Way Ahead San Diego matures in its second year, we’ve seen an increase in applications and an increase in opportunities in North County—stores in Carlsbad and Vista both signed on to host interns this year. Of the up to 57 interns placed, the goal is 31 interns converting to employment.