Life Sciences Summer Institute
2014 High School Student Research Program Application
Program Dates: June 23-August 15, 2014
Deadline to Apply: Closed for 2014
The High School Student Research Program, a part of the Life Sciences Summer Institute (LSSI) is an internship program developed for San Diego County students interested in gaining hands-on laboratory research experience. LSSI consists of an unpaid one-week pre-internship “boot camp” training held at either Miramar or Grossmont College followed by a 7-week paid research internship at either Salk Institute, The Scripps Research Institute, or UCSD-Research Scholars Program.
At the end of the internship, students will have:
- Received college credit for the pre-internship “boot camp” course
- Approx. 280 hours of paid work experience ($9.50/hr.) in a research laboratory; gaining college prep units at University of California, San Diego Extension
- Presented your work in front of your peers, mentors, teachers, and family
- Produced a scientific poster and abstract highlighting your summer research project
- Participated in many seminars, career panels, networking events and other enrichment activities
- Must be a San Diego County resident and have completed most recent semester of high school at a public or private high school within San Diego County
- At least 16 years of age on or before June 30,2014
- Successfully completed at least one year each of high school level chemistry and biology
- Minimum grade point average of 3.0
- Able to commit to 40 hrs/wk for the duration of the program
- If under 18, must submit a blank work permit application (available from your high school career center)
- Able to provide their own transportation
A special emphasis is placed on identifying and recruiting first generation college bound students as well as those from groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences (i.e., African-American, Hispanic, Native Pacific Islander, or Native American students).
Email: Biotechworkforce [dot] org
The Life Sciences Summer Institute (LSSI) connects high school students and science teachers to San Diego’s life sciences industry. Students apply to participate in summer-long paid research internships including a week-long training prior to the start of their internship. Students are mentored by a scientist, exposed to real-life science practices, and increase their scientific knowledge & experience.
Teachers from San Diego County and surrounding areas participate in a 12-day professional development program that exposes them to new biotechnology lab curriculum using the Amgen Biotech Experience (ABE) as well as several half-day externships to biotechnology companies in San Diego. Teachers are able to make connections to the curriculum learned, hear about career pathways, and meet with science researchers. Once teachers complete the program, they have access to loaner equipment and supplies through the Southern California Biotech Center at Miramar College.
Erika Arangure, Life Sciences Coordinator
Erikaworkforce [dot] org